On a trip to the farmers market I saw these strawberry and insanity knew I had to make something with them. These personal strawberry shortcakes are the prefect dessert any time.
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- ½ cup water
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, sliced into 8 pieces for easier melting
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup confectioner sugar, plus extra for garnish
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 quart strawberries, washed and sliced
For Pastry Puffs
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Stir together flour and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, water, butter, and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until butter melts.
4. Add flour all at once into the mixture. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until all of the flour is incorporated and the mixture looks like a very thick paste, It will start to become a ball.
5. Place hot dough in a stand mixer. Mix for 1 minute. While the mixer is running, add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each additional egg. Mix the dough for 1 minute after the last egg has been added. The dough will now be very sticky.
6. Place the warm dough in a pastry bag or in a freezer bag with the corner snipped. Pipe 2” mounds on a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper sheet, spacing each mound 2″ apart.
7. Bake for 23-25 minutes or until medium golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack. Gently create a small whole on the bottoms of the cream puffs with a knife to let steam escape to prevent them from getting soggy.
1. Chill a medium mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for 20 minutes.
2. Place cream, sugar, and vanilla in the bowl and whip until desired thickness.
Slice cooled cream puffs in half. Slice strawberries and assemble. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Note: Recipe adapted from A Buck Country Kitchen